Kensington Fire and Rescue
The History of the Kensington Fire Department
In March of 1894, all of the City Council as a committee decided to organize a Fire Dept. In July, a fire wagon was bought. But even before that, fire protection was discussed. In 1883, there was an article in the newspaper that read: “After considerable searching, we succeeded in finding where the village fire apparatus is. The hooks and ladders have been deposited upon the right of way behind the old barber shop and the old engine is in the old engine house. The new engine is in the shed between Miss Kellogg’s Millinery and the round elevator. In case of a fire, this apparatus could probably be collected and made ready for work before the entire town was burned, if the wind did not blow too hard.”
To begin with, man fought fire by hand, passing a bucket from man-to-man from the water source to the fire. That was called the Bucket Brigade. There was an article in the newspaper in 1941 that said that the Kensington Fire Dept was called to fight a fire in town, and used the bucket brigade and snow to put out the flames. Later, we got the fire wagons drawn by horses, and finally to the fire trucks we have now.
The first volunteer firemen were very proud of their job as firefighters. They often had to put their own money in to buy gas for the trucks after a fire. We are very lucky today to have grants to buy fire trucks and equipment. We now have 6 fire trucks, 1 responder rig for medical calls, a 6 wheeler for grass fires and search & rescue, and a trailer. We are an all volunteer fire and rescue service. We provide the city of Kensington, the city of Farwell, and 4 townships with fire protection. We respond to approximately 30 medical calls and about 15 fire calls a year.